Go to Reviews.org US Edition
What to do if you forgot your Apple ID password
All you need is an Apple device and a few steps to recover your Apple ID password.
Apple loves a unified ecosystem. If you’ve got an iPhone 14, the latest iPad and a Mac, your devices will all play nicely with each other. Part of this unification is an Apple ID, which is great when everything’s automatically logged in. But what happens if you forgot your Apple ID password?
Follow these steps to recover your forgotten Apple ID password.
How to recover your forgotten Apple ID password
There are multiple ways to reset your Apple ID password. According to Apple support, the quickest way to reset your Apple ID password is with an iPhone or any other device you own that’s part of the Apple ecosystem. That’s because these devices already have access to your Apple ID credentials.
You’ll want to follow these steps to reset your Apple ID password on an Apple iOS device:
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap your name, then ‘Password & Security’, then ‘Change Password’.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to reset your Apple ID password.
The steps are slightly different on a trusted Mac device (one that has a passcode or password):
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Select ‘System Settings’ or ‘System Preferences’.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click ‘Password & Security’, then ‘Change Password’. Follow the prompts.
On a new Apple device, select the ‘Forgot Apple ID or password’ during device setup. Once you’ve finished setup, select an app like Messages (or any other one that prompts a sign-in request) and enter your Apple ID.
Alternatively, on a borrowed device, use the Apple Support app:
- Download the Apple Support app from the App Store.
- Open Apple Support, then scroll down to ‘Support Tools’. Tap ‘Reset Password’.
- Tap the ‘A different apple ID’ option.
- Input your Apple ID, then tap ‘Next’.
- Follow the other prompts to reset your Apple ID password.
If you don’t have access to a trusted device or can’t borrow an Apple iOS device, reset your Apple ID online via browser. Apple notes this process may take longer. Visit the Apple ID password reset site and follow the prompts, starting with your Apple ID email address.