How to Reset an Unresponsive iPhone
If your iPhone is completely unresponsive, it’s time to hard reset that puppy. No matter what iPhone model you currently have, resetting your iPhone is incredibly easy.
Force restart an iPhone with Face ID, iPhone SE (2020), iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus
If you have any new iPhone after the iPhone 8, then this hard reset process will work for you. For reference, here’s a complete list of the phones compatible for this kind of iPhone hard reset:
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPad Pro (11-inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2018 model)
- iPhone SE (2020)
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
If you see your phone above, then this is what you do to reset your device.
- Press the volume up button for a second and let go.
- Press the volume down button for a second and let go.
- Hold down the side button.
- Once you see the Apple logo, you can let go.
Here’s where you can find the buttons:
How to force restart iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
- Hold the volume down button and the Sleep/Wake button down at the same time.
- Wait until you see the Apple logo, and then you can let go of both buttons.
This is where to find the right buttons:
How to force restart iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, or iPhone SE (2016)
- Hold the home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
- You can let go as soon as you see the Apple logo appear.
Don’t be afraid to hard reset your phone if it’s completely unresponsive. You’d be surprised how many things can be solved with a simple restart. I worked IT for a few years in college, and can safely say a restart can work wonders.