YouTube TV Not Working? Here’s What to Do.
YouTube TV is one of the best streaming services out there, but that doesn’t mean you won’t run into issues that you’ll have to troubleshoot from time to time. As an avid YouTube TV user myself, I almost never experience problems, but the dreaded “playback error” message has popped up for me once or twice.
Here are the most common YouTube TV troubleshooting issues that you might run into while streaming:
The most common YouTube TV issue is “playback error”
All of your YouTube TV troubleshooting struggles will likely boil down to an image saying “Playback error” with some little picture above it. Something like the image below:
Below the “Playback error,” it should say why the error is occuring. In the case above, my YouTube TV account was playing on more than three devices at a time. You’ll also see a string of numbers and letters below that indicate an error code.
Possible causes and solutions for YouTube TV playback errors
The playback error can be occurring for a number of reasons, but these are the most common issues:
- Bad internet connection: You need at least 5 Mbps to run YouTube TV smoothly. If your internet is down, or simply too slow, you might get a playback error message. Make sure your internet is up and running before you start streaming.
- Too many users: YouTube TV supports three streams at a time. If you go beyond three streams, you’ll get a playback error. This means you can’t stream on your TV, phone, laptop, and tablet all at the same time. You get three streams on three devices at a time. Be careful not to hand out your login info to too many people, or this error will pop up frequently.
- TV is not compatible: YouTube TV is compatible with the latest smart TVs and most streaming devices. Make sure your device is compatible here.
- Login verification: If you’ve recently changed the password to your account and haven’t entered into whatever device you’re using to stream, you’ll get an error message prompting you enter in the new password.
- Channel issue: In some cases, specific channels will be down. This isn’t an error on your end, rather it’s an issue for the specific channel. Not much you can do except wait for the channel to be back up.
- Location: If you are traveling, you might be geo-locked out of your normal local channels. For example, I was recently traveling to California and couldn’t get my local Utah channels.
- YouTube TV might be down. Not much you can do that besides wait for it to come back up.
Other recommended streaming services
YouTube TV not panning out for you? There are plenty of other streaming services out there to help you binge to your heart’s content.
Here’s a look at some of our favorite streaming services.
|Provider||Monthly price||Learn more|
|Hulu + Live TV||$54.99*||View Plans|
|Amazon Prime Video||$12.99*||View Plan|
Get a different internet provider
The underlying issue with your YouTube TV stream might just be your internet connection. Your internet data speeds is the gas that makes your streaming go after all.
There’s only a few Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in most areas, so it won’t take you long to compare what you’re paying to what other ISPs in your area offer. You might be able to save some money and get a better internet connection at the same time.
|Provider||Monthly price||Download speeds||Learn more|
|Xfinity Internet||$19.99–$299.95†||15–2000 Mbps||View Plans|
|CenturyLink Internet||$49–$65‡||15–940 Mbps||View Plans|
|AT&T Internet||$39.99–$50^||5–100 Mbps||View Plans|
|Viasat Internet||$30–$150°||12–100 Mbps||View Plans|
|Verizon Fios||$39.99–$79.99**||200–940 Mbps||View Plans|
Enter your ZIP code below to find out what internet options you’ve got in your area.
What YouTube TV issues are you experiencing?
More than likely, your YouTube TV issues will stem from either internet connection issues, having too many users logged in at once, or not having a compatible device. If you check all of those boxes, then you shouldn’t have any issue streaming on YouTube TV.
But on the off chance you’re experiencing a YouTube TV error that isn’t explained here, please leave a comment below and we can get to researching.