Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
How to Use Alexa with Streaming Services
Use Alexa to control your Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ accounts
We are committed to sharing unbiased reviews. Some of the links on our site are from our partners who compensate us. Read our disclosure policies to learn more.
Did you know that you can use Alexa voice commands to control your video streaming services, like Netflix and Hulu? Well, now you do. You just have to link your Alexa account with your streaming devices.
If you’re ready to ditch the clunky, battery-powered remote, here’s what you need to do.
How to set up Alexa voice controls for streaming
Using Alexa to control your streaming services is simple, as long as you have the correct technology. You’ll need a streaming TV device (like Roku), a Smart TV, or another way of casting an Alexa-enabled device to your TV.
Here’s how you can enable Alexa on various different devices.
Also learn how to troubleshoot your Alexa.
How to use Alexa with Fire TV, Roku, and other streaming TV devices
If you have an Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Google Chromecast, or other streaming TV device, then you can connect your Alexa account to them by following these steps.
- Open the Alexa app on your Android or iOS device.
- Go to the More tab.
- Tap Settings.
- Select the TV & Video option.
- Select the streaming device you’re using.
- Select Link or Enable.
- Provide required log-in information to finalize the link.
- Once you’ve signed in, you can choose the specific device you want to control via Alexa.
- Choose the Alexa device you want to use to control your TV streaming device.
Now you should be able to say things like, “Alexa, show me action movies on Roku,” and see all of your choices without lifting a finger.
How to use Alexa with your Smart TV
If you use a smart TV, then you can hook your Alexa up directly to your TV. That way, you can use Alexa voice commands to open streaming apps, choose content, pause, adjust volume, and do about a thousand other things.
Here’s how you can connect Alexa to most smart TVs:
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- Select the Devices option on the home screen.
- Choose the + option and click Add Device.
- Select the TV option.
- Find your TV’s brand (e.g. Sony or Samsung) and select it.
- Follow the instructions on your Alexa app to finish linking your account to your TV.
Once your Alexa account is paired with your TV, you should be able to control all of your streaming services using Alexa voice commands. You can say things like, “Alexa, open Disney+ on my smart TV”.