Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
HBO Max Review 2021
What is HBO Max? We’re so glad you asked.
It’s a new streaming platform with 10,000 hours of content that everyone is going crazy for, such as Friends: The Reunion. If you want to watch the newest movies that were supposed to be released in theaters, like Space Jam: A New Legacy, then look no further.
HBO Max is a combination of HBO, WarnerMedia shows and movies, as well as new original content. Everyone in the family will have something to watch with its vast selection of kids, drama, action, and fantasy shows and movies.
You get all this for $10–15 per month! But read on to see if this is your next subscription.
- HBO Max has lots of highly anticipated content
- You'll get access to newly released Warner Bros. movies
- HBO Max is not a standalone service
- It's about the same price as Netflix, but with less total content
What is HBO Max?
HBO Max is the new HBO streaming service, which took over HBO Now.
With HBO Max, you’ll get lots of excellent WarnerMedia shows and movies, a selection of other acquired series and films, and new original content that everyone is raving about. Honestly.
What really sets HBO Max apart at the moment is the fact that all of the new WarnerMedia Bros. movies will be available on this streaming service and the movie theaters. Warner Bros. announced they will be releasing all of its new 2021 movies on its respective release date on HBO Max for those who don't want to attend the theater.
So grab the family, your homemade caramel popcorn, and throw on one of these new releases:
- The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4, 2021)
- In the Heights (June 18, 2021)
- Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16, 2021)
- The Suicide Squad (August 6, 2021)
- Reminiscence (September 3, 2021)
- Dune (October 1, 2021)
- The Matrix 4 (December 21, 2021)
In between the new releases, check out HBO Max's excellent on-demand library. HBO Max includes the following TV shows:
- The Big Bang Theory
- South Park
- Lovecraft Country
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- The Third Day
- Rick and Morty
- Key and Peele
- We Are Who We Are
- Young Sheldon
- Pretty Little Liars
- Reno 911!
HBO Max includes the following movies:
- Wonder Woman
- Crazy Rich Asians
- The Hobbit Trilogy
- Old School
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Birds of Prey
- Happy Gilmore
- Matrix Trilogy
- The Invisible Man
But HBO Max is mostly known for its new originals. So if you're looking to have a binge marathon night, scroll down to HBO Max's highlighted content.
How much does HBO Max cost?
HBO Max is well worth the price if you ask us. There is so much new, original, and exclusive content that there’s no chance you and your family will get bored.
So, $10–$15 for new release Warner Bros. movies, all older HBO content, and new HBO Max content? Yes. Yes, please.
And HBO Max recently launched their new limited ads service. You can save $5 per month by watching no more than four minutes of ads per hour. (But we think it's worth spending the extra $5 for no interruptions.)
A lot of services nowadays throw in HBO Max for free with your TV plan. You can get HBO Max for free for one year with AT&T TV and DIRECTV. If you're on the lookout for a cable TV provider, Optimum TV, Spectrum TV, and Cox TV include a complimentary subscription to HBO Max, as well.
How much is HBO Max a month?
*Data effective 8/13/2021. Price and channel inclusion vary according to location.
Does HBO Max have a contract or fees?
No contract or fees at all. You can cancel whenever you’d like.
What original content does HBO Max have?
HBO Max is getting some attention because it will give you access to newly released Warner Bros. movies, but HBO Max is also getting attention from its originals.
HBO Max’s Originals include the following:
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Reunion (with Will Smith)
- Raised by Wolves (series about two androids raising human children)
- Class Action Park (documentary about the most dangerous amusement park)
- An American Pickle (with Seth Rogen)
- The Flight Attendant (with Kaley Cuoco and Michiel Huisman)
- Doom Patrol (with Brendan Fraser and Diane Guerrero)
- Two Weeks to Live (with Maisie Williams)
- Sesame Street (Five new 35-episode seasons as well as episodes from the past 50 years)
- Lovecraft Country (a horror series executively produced by Jordan Peele)
Which devices are compatible with HBO Max?
You’re going to want to watch The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on your road trip, or your kids are going to need to be entertained with Looney Tunes while you’re grocery shopping.
It’s no question we need our streaming services on the go.
HBO Max is available on most popular streaming devices. When HBO Max made its debut in May 2020, it was only compatible with a few devices. We're happy to see that's changed.
But HBO Max is available for the following devices:
- iPhone, iPad
- Android smartphones and tablets
- Apple TV (4th gen. and later)
- Android TV
- Amazon Fire tablets (4th gen. and later)
- Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Amazon Fire TV Cube
- Mac and PC browsers
- PlayStation 4
- Xbox One
- Samsung TV (2016+)
Just open the HBO Max app, sign in, and you can start watching all the classic films and original series you want.
We should also mention that HBO Max suggests you have at least a 5 Mbps internet connection while using the app. If you are looking for a reliable internet provider, check out our favorite internet providers for streaming chosen by our internet expert, Catherine McNally.
Recap: Is HBO Max worth it?
Like we said above: subscribe to HBO Max and you’ll get everything this new streaming platform has to offer, as well as all of HBO's older content, like Game of Thrones. That’s $10–$15 for two streaming services.
For a refresher, here’s what you get with your HBO Max subscription:
- The entire HBO service
- WarnerMedia shows and movies (including brand new releases)
- A selection of other acquired series and films like The Big Bang Theory, Friends, and Joker
- New original content like The Flight Attendant, Raised by Wolves, and The Not So Late Show with Elmo
You might have found the next streaming service for you and your family. But if you aren’t feeling the idea of becoming HBO Max subscribers, check out our full reviews on Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.