Try these quick and easy fixes for your Spectrum TV service
Spectrum TV Not Working? Try These Troubleshooting Tips
When you’re kicking back on the couch, about to turn on the latest episode of your favorite new Marvel show, the last thing you want to see is some obscure error code. But don’t lose hope, if you’ve got Spectrum TV problems, we’ve got Spectrum TV solutions.
This troubleshooting guide should be able to help you fix your issue, whether you’re having issues with your cable box, remote control, or the Spectrum TV App.
Check your equipment
While it might seem obvious, it’s surprising how often the root of the problem is just a simple loose cord. I know I’ve spent at least an hour waiting on hold with customer service, only to realize that my device wasn’t even plugged into the wall!
The first thing you should do when troubleshooting any problem with your Spectrum TV service is check the equipment. Double-check all of the connections between your TV, cable box, and wall outlets. Double-check that your TV is set to the right input setting and that any additional equipment is set to the same channel.
This is also a good time to make sure that your actual TV (whether it's a smart TV or a classic style device) is functioning normally without the cable connection. If it won’t turn on at all, then the issue is probably with your TV, not your cable service or equipment.
Refresh your Spectrum receiver
Many issues with Spectrum TV service can be solved with a simple reset of your cable box or Spectrum receiver. There are three ways to reset your cable box: with the Spectrum App, with the Spectrum website, or manually.
Refresh your Spectrum cable box with the app
- Download the Spectrum TV App on your iOS or Android device (if you haven’t already).
- Launch the app and sign in to your account.
- Click on Services.
- Select the equipment (in this case, receiver) that you want to fix under the TV tab.
- Tap the Restart Equipment button.
Refresh your Spectrum cable box online
- Go to Spectrum’s website.
- Go to the Your Services tab.
- Select the TV option.
- Select the equipment you want to work with (in this case “receiver”) from the list.
- Click on Restart Equipment. (You might want to click two or three times just to be sure it resets.)
Refresh your Spectrum cable manually
- Simply unplug Spectrum receiver’s power cord from the wall.
- Wait sixty seconds, then plug it back in.
Spectrum TV App troubleshooting
If you’re using the Spectrum TV App to stream content to a tablet, phone, or smart TV, then your problem might be with the app’s settings.
If you can’t sign in, you may need to reset your password. Simply visit Spectrum.net, click the Sign In button, and then select Forgot Username or Password?
If the app is working slowly or you're experiencing poorer-than-normal streaming quality, make sure to check your internet connection. Also, be sure you’re running the latest version of the app. (You can check for updates in your app store.)
You can also try resetting the device that you’re using, and then booting up the app again. If you’re still having issues, try deleting and then reinstalling the entire Spectrum TV App.
Spectrum remote not working
Troubleshooting your Spectrum remote control can be a little bit tricky. Different kinds of remotes can require different fixes, but there are some steps you should try, no matter what kind of remote you have. These are:
- Replace your remote batteries.
- Be sure that your cable box and other important TV equipment is on.
- Restart your receiver. (See above.)
- Move furniture and other objects that may be obstructing the remote signal (or try repositioning your equipment).
- Be sure you’re using the correct remote (especially if you have multiple Spectrum receivers in your house).
If none of these steps fixes your Spectrum remote issue, then you may need to dive a bit deeper. You can learn a lot more about how to troubleshoot specific remotes by visiting Spectrum’s remote programming page.
If you’re still having issues, contact Spectrum directly
We hope that we’ve helped you solve your problem with Spectrum TV. But we aren’t magic TV wizards (or are we?), so you might need to reach out to Spectrum to solve your problem.
You can reach Spectrum customer service in the following ways:
Looking for more TV options? Take a look at our review of the best TV service providers.