Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
Visible Wireless vs. T-Mobile Cell Phone Plans Review
We compared Visible's and T-Mobile's cell plans, phone selection, and network performance. Visible offers the best price, T-Mobile the best data speeds.
Choosing between Visible Wireless and T-Mobile is kind of like choosing between eating ice cream or cake for dessert. They’re both great options, which can make the choice even harder.
But there are some significant differences between Visible and T-Mobile. The short story is this: Visible offers an affordable and powerful unlimited data plan, but data speeds will be slow-ish. T-Mobile is pricier, but it has more plans to choose from and better overall performance.
We’ll go over all the details of these two carriers below so that you can make the right decision for your lifestyle. But first, let’s talk about the basics of choosing a plan.
How to choose a cell phone plan
You learn a thing or two after writing as many reviews as we have. Here are the most important features to consider when you’re choosing a new cell phone plan.
- Data: Be sure to know how much data you actually use each month, so that you can get a plan that has enough for you. You should also consider what data speeds you need. People who game, work, or do creative projects on their phones may want premium data speeds.
- Price: Obviously, you want to get a good deal. You may be surprised at how cheap some cell phone plans are if you do the work of comparing different carriers.
- Coverage: All three major networks—AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon—offer great coverage in metropolitan areas. But there is a difference in rural areas and certain neighborhoods. Be sure to check the coverage maps.
- Performance: Does the plan come with 5G data? Does it include hotspot data? You’ll want to think about these kinds of questions to make sure you’re getting the overall performance you need.
Visible vs. T-Mobile unlimited plans and pricing
Let’s get down to the juicy stuff. How do Visible and T-Mobile’s unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data plans compare? We’ll start with Visible.
Visible’s unlimited data plan
Visible puts quality over quantity by offering just one powerful cell phone plan. This unlimited talk, text, and data plan costs just $40. Check it out.
This plan comes with all of the following:
- Unlimited talk, text, and data
- Access to 5G networks where available (and with a 5G-capable device)
- Coverage on Verizon’s huge network
- Unlimited hotspot data
- Deals on the newest phones
Visible’s unlimited plan easily makes the list of the best cell phone plans out there right now. It’s perfect for anyone who wants to stream, post, scroll, watch, listen, and play on their phone all day without breaking the bank.
There’s really only one major problem to speak of …
With Visible your 4G LTE data will always be throttled at 5–12 Mbps (normal speeds on Verizon’s network would be closer to 25–30 Mbps). If you’re on 5G then your speeds will be higher than that but still throttled below the normal 5G speeds.
Another concern is deprioritization. Because Visible is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), its customers will be at the back of the line when it comes to getting bandwidth. So if the network is busy during peak hours, their speeds may be reduced to keep normal Verizon customers’ speeds up.
T-Mobile’s unlimited data plans
T-Mobile is one of the Big Three carriers in the industry. While it has traditionally been a smaller carrier than AT&T or Verizon, the company recently merged with Sprint. Since the merger, the network has gotten larger, and the company has absorbed more customers.
Here’s a look at T-Mobile’s current unlimited data plans.
These three plans have some things in common. They all offer unlimited talk, text, and data, access to T-Mobile’s 5G network, and some hotspot data. But there are some important differences to keep in mind.
- Essentials: This plan is actually very similar to Visible’s plan, but it's pricier and only comes with 3G hotspot speeds. Your data is subject to deprioritization at all times with this plan, meaning you won’t get the same speeds as you would on Magenta or Magenta Plus.
- Magenta: This is where T-Mobile starts to offer a plan that’s more powerful than Visible. Magenta plans are not deprioritized, come with 5 GB of 4G hotspot data, unlimited DVD-quality streaming, and 100 GB data cap.
- Magenta MAX: This plan has it all, from 40 GB of 4G hotspot data to free in-flight calling. There is no data cap to speak of, 4K video streaming, and a free Netflix subscription to boot.
Basically, if you want a stripped-down plan with just the basics, Visible has a better deal. But if you’re willing to shell out some extra cash for the fancy stuff, go with Magenta or Magenta MAX.
T-Mobile’s prices aren’t so low
T-Mobile’s essentials plan offers basically the same thing as Visible’s unlimited data plan, but it costs $20 more. When you get up into the higher tiered plans the prices reach $70–$85 a month. That’s more than a lot of people want to pay for cell phone service.
But, if money isn’t the biggest issue for you, then T-Mobile’s amazing performance could very well be worth the cost.
Visible vs. T-Mobile family plans
If you’re looking for a great way to save money on your cell phone bill without sacrificing quality, then it’s time to get a family plan. Both Visible and T-Mobile can hook you up with awesome money-saving family plans. Here’s the dirt.
Visible Wireless family plan
Visible’s unlimited data plan is already one of the best deals around, but it gets even better when you opt for the Party Pay option (which is just a family plan by another name). With every line you add to your Visible account your price goes down.
Once you’ve got the maximum four lines, it’s just $100 a month, or $25 per line.
These added lines come with all the same benefits as the original individual plan that we outlined above.
One thing that makes Party Pay really cool is that anyone can join in together. You can get this “family plan” with friends, co-workers, boyfriends, or anyone else who wants to save money on their phone bill. Each line can be managed and paid for individually.
T-Mobile family plans
Like Visible, T-Mobile’s family plans offer basically the same things as the individual plans, just cheaper. Here’s what you can get.
You can add up to eight lines to your T-Mobile family plan, and your price will go down with every one of them. This makes T-Mobile a better option for many larger families.
Besides all the basics that you’ll get with these family plans, like unlimited data, you’ll also get some exclusive family plan perks, like subscriptions to Netflix and free lines. Yes, T-Mobile is actually running a deal right now where you get your third line for free (that free line price is reflected in the plans featured above).
Visible vs. T-Mobile coverage
As we mentioned above, Visible actually uses Verizon’s network. This means Visible customers will get the best nationwide 4G coverage available. Just check out this coverage map.
But that doesn’t mean that T-Mobile’s coverage is bad. In fact, its coverage is pretty darn good in almost every metropolitan and suburban area. Plus, T-Mobile’s 5G coverage is currently better than Verizon’s. Here’s the coverage map for T-Mobile.
Another benefit that T-Mobile offers is incredible 4G data speeds.
As this chart based on our proprietary data from over 100,000 mobile customers shows, T-Mobile’s speeds beat out Verizon and AT&T.
Visible vs. T-Mobile phones and devices
If you’re looking to nab one of the newest flagship devices from Apple or Samsung, then T-Mobile and Visible can both hook you up. In fact, there’s no better time to find a great smartphone deal than when you’re switching to a new carrier.
You can see the most popular cell phones that each company sells right here.
Recap: Which carrier is right for you?
That does it for all the detailed analysis of these two carriers. Now it’s up to you. Which plan is going to give you everything you need at a price you can afford? Maybe a quick recap will help you make your final decision.
- Plans: Visible offers just one plan, but it’s cheap and powerful. The only real problem for some will be data throttling and deprioritization. T-Mobile’s higher-tiered plans come with faster data and more perks, but the prices go up fast.
- Family plans: Both carriers will give you steep discounts when you add extra lines. Visible makes family plans easy with Party Pay, but you can only have four lines on one account. T-Mobile lets you have up to eight lines, but prices never go down quite as low as Visible.
- Coverage and performance: Visible runs on Verizon’s amazing nationwide network, which offers unparalleled coverage. But T-Mobile’s 5G network is bigger, and its data speeds are much more impressive than Visible’s.
That’s all we’ve got for this Visible vs. T-Mobile review. We hope that it’s helped you find the perfect plan. If you’re still not sure, then maybe check out these other highly rated options.
Our reviews consider each carrier from every angle—price, performance, coverage, and so much more. Everything we write is informed by hands-on experience, proprietary data from users, customer reviews, and information provided by the carriers themselves. We strive for the highest level of accuracy and we appreciate your trust and readership.