Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
Hulu vs. Netflix Review 2022
Hulu is best for newer content, but Netflix will give you more than double the hours of entertainment
So you're trying to decide between two of the best on-demand streaming services: Hulu and Netflix. But which one comes out on top?
To compare these two services effectively, we've got to get into the details. So we compared pricing, on-demand content, original content, and the user interface (ya know, all the good stuff).
And of course, the "best" service will vary from person to person. So, which one is best for you?
How do Hulu and Netflix compare in price?
At first glance, Hulu has the cheapest starter plan. But it's only worth it if you don't mind ad interruptions during your binge-watching.
It's nice to have that cheap $8 option for a streaming service if you're on a budget, though. And you can share an account with your spouse or roommate.
An awesome bonus to Hulu: you can get the ultimate entertainment bundle with Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+. Get all three services for $14-$20 per month and save $12–$18 than if you were to get each service separately.
|Hulu (no ads)||$14.99/mo.†||2||View Plans|
Netflix doesn't have any ads whatsoever.
And if you have your eyes on a Premium plan, Netflix's Premium plan is worth the extra few dollars if you want four simultaneous streams instead of two like Hulu.
If you're sharing an account with the family, no one wants to go through the headache of waiting for someone to finish using Netflix so you can watch Ozark or Good Girls.
|Netflix Basic||$9.99/mo.‡||1||View Plans|
|Netflix Standard||$15.49/mo.‡||2||View Plans|
|Netflix Premium||$19.99/mo.‡||4||View Plans|
Does Hulu or Netflix have better content?
With Hulu, you will find Friday night’s episode of Blue Bloods on Saturday morning, making Hulu the best cable replacement if you’re looking for an on-demand streaming service.
So you just have to decide if you want newer content with Hulu or more content with Netflix. (Or just get both!)
Some TV shows and movies you’ll get to enjoy with Hulu include the following:
- The Kardashians
- Abbott Elementary
- The Patient
- Reservation Dogs
- Father of the Bride
- The Good Doctor
- General Hospital
Next-day content can you find on Hulu are the following:
- The Bachelor/ Bachelorette
- The First 48
- Rick and Morty
- Blue Bloods
- The Real Housewives
- Top Chef
- Naked and Afraid
- Worst Cooks In America
- Bob's Burgers
- Family Guy
- Good Trouble
- Welcome to Wrexham
A few TV shows and movies you can watch with the fam on Netflix include the following:
- New Girl
- Stranger Things
- Grey's Anatomy
- Miss Congeniality
- How to Lose a Guy In 10 Days
- Sing 2
- Wedding Crashers
- Love is Blind
- Unsolved Mysteries
- All American
Which service has better Original content, Netflix or Hulu?
Netflix has more high-quality, Original content than Hulu does. Why? Because Netflix creates unique content more often than Hulu with famous directors, producers, and actors.
But Hulu is right behind Netflix, so you'll win with either service.
Popular and noteworthy Originals on Hulu include the following:
- Only Murders In the Building (with Selena Gomez and Steve Martin)
- The Dropout (with Amanda Seyfried and Kate McKinnon)
- Dopesick (with Michael Keaton)
- The Handmaids Tale
- Life & Beth (with Amy Schumer and Michael Sera)
- Tell Me Lies
- The Patient (with Steve Carell)
Critically acclaimed, binge-worthy originals on Netflix include the following:
- Luckiest Girl Alive (with Mila Kunis)
- Ozark (with Jason Bateman)
- The School for Good and Evil (with Charlize Theron and Kerry Washington)
- From Scratch (with Zoe Saldaña)
- The Great British Baking Show
- Me Time (with Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg)
- The Crown
- Don't Look Up (with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence)
- Stanger Things
Does Hulu or Netflix give you a better user experience?
You can expect to see a featured TV series or movie at the top of your screen before scrolling down to your horizontal rows of My List, Movies for You, and Bingeable TV.
If you get the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu bundle, you'll get suggestions for live sporting events similar to the photo below.
Hulu’s interface has some the same homepage tabs as Netflix: TV Shows, Movies, and My Stuff/ My List. But what sets Hulu apart is the Hubs tab.
This is where you can find movies and TV shows categorized by TV channels, like FX, Cartoon Network, and ABC. So if you’re a huge fan of ABC shows, Hulu makes it easy for you.
We like Netflix's "New & Popular" tab so we can find everything new Netflix has added (especially if you've already binged everything in Netflix's library).
Overall, you can’t go wrong with either interface. Hulu and Netflix have some of the smoothest, most aesthetically pleasing interfaces in the on-demand streaming service industry.
On which streaming devices can you watch Hulu and Netflix on?
Good news! Hulu and Netflix are compatible with almost every device.
You and your nephew, spouse, or kiddo can stream Hulu on these streaming devices:
- iPhones, iPads
- Android smartphones and tablets
- Apple TV (4th generation or later)
- Android TV
- Amazon Fire TV streaming devices and tablets
- LG TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- VIZIO SmartCast TV
- Amazon Fire tablets
- Nintendo Switch
- Playstation 3, 4, and 5
Stream Netflix all day long on these streaming devices:
- iPhones and iPads
- Android smartphones and tablets
- Windows smartphones and tablets
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Nvidia Shield
- Roku TV
- PS3, PS4, and PS5
- Smart TVs such as Hisense, LG, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony, and Vizio
- Blu-ray players such as Funai, LG, Magnavox, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Phillips, Sharp, and Sony
We should also mention that Hulu suggests you have at least a 3 Mbps internet connection to stream in SD and 16 Mbps for streaming in 4K.
As for Netflix, you should have at least a 5 Mbps internet connection for HD-quality streaming and 25 Mbps for 4K streaming. If you have two simultaneous streams, you will need 50 Mbps for 4K quality.
(Not sure what internet speed you have? Test it out with our tool.)
Recap: Netflix is better than Hulu
If you're looking for a streaming service that will give you lots of entertainment hours, Netflix will be your pick. Netflix is also perfect for families since you can stream on up to four devices compared to Hulu's two.
- Pricing: Hulu’s Basic plan at $7.99/mo. is perfect for money-savers, but we’d pay $7 more to eliminate the ads. Netflix doesn’t have ads at all, and their Basic plan is $9.99/mo. The Standard plan is a few dollars more at $15.50/mo. for two simultaneous streams instead of one, but you’ll want the Premium plan at $19.99/mo. if you plan on sharing with up to three others.
- Content: Hulu has recently aired content from TV networks, which is nice if you don’t have cable television and still want to be up to date with Top Chef. Netflix has over 5,000 titles compared to Hulu’s 3,000, so it will be harder for you to run out of TV shows and movies to watch on Netflix.
- Original content: Both services are great in this department, but Netflix might have a leg up. Netflix makes loads of Originals that feature great actors, directors, and producers. But we can’t say Hulu is far behind.
- User interface: Hulu and Netflix both have a featured TV show or movie when you open up the app, and as you scroll, you’ll find horizontal rows of suggested shows and movies, along with genres. Both streaming services also have tabs at the top of your screen to easily jump to the movies, TV shows, and your saved watching list. Either way, both interfaces are smooth and easy to use.
Need speedy internet for streaming? Check out our top-ranked providers.
Considering a live TV streaming service? Check out our top picks.