Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
How to Use Find My iPhone
Don’t panic when I ask this, but do you know where your phone is right now? Relax! You’re probably holding it right now. Unless … !
The panic of losing your iPhone is very real, but if you set up Find my iPhone properly, you can always find where you left your phone. The Find My iPhone app is free, but the peace of mind is truly priceless
You can follow the same steps listed to make sure you keep track of your AirPods, Mac, and Apple Watch as well.
How to set up Find My iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Apple Watch, or AirPods
First things first, we need to make sure that your Find My app is enabled on your iPhone. If you don’t enable the app before losing your phone, then you’ll be fresh out of luck. Retrace your steps, I guess!
Speaking of steps, these are the steps to make sure your Find My app is all set up in case of emergency.
1. Tap Settings and click your picture at the top of the screen.
2. Tap the Find My button right below the Media & Purchases button.
3. Tap the Find My iPhone option
4. Tap the slider for Find My iPhone. You can also enable offline finding so you can find your phone even if it’s not connected to the internet. The Send Last Location feature is also worth toggling—it will send the location of your phone right before it runs out of battery.
Now that those toggles are all green, your paired AirPods and Apple Watch automatically are set up as well.
How to use the Find My iPhone app
If you’re on an iPhone device with the latest OS, you should have the Find My app already downloaded on your phone.
1. Open the Find My app. The icon looks like this:
You can also visit this web address, enter your Cloud ID, and use the app on your browser.
2. Click the devices tab on the bottom of the app to see all the devices synced to your Find My app.
3. Click on the device you’re missing, and you’ll have a couple of options for how you can find it.
- The Play Sound option will make your device start beeping until you find it. This is really handy when your phone is deep within the couch cushions.
- The Directions option will sync with Apple Maps to give you exact directions to your phone’s location. This is especially helpful when you drop your phone while running or hiking.
- Mark As Lost will remotely lock your device and suspend the ability to use your credit and debit cards on your Apple Pay. You can even display a custom message in case anybody happens to find your phone.
If all else fails (and we really hope it doesn't come to this), you can select the Erase This Device option, which will delete all the data on your phone and prevent anybody from accessing your information if they stole your phone.
You can also use Find My iPhone to help friends and family find their iPhone or use their iPhone to find your device. Through the Family Sharing option, anyone who is listed as your family can share their locations and their devices will appear below yours in the Devices list.
If you need to replace your lost phone, the iPhone SE is our favorite value phone.
Not an iPhone person? Check out all the best cell phone deals happening now.