Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
2021 Digital Detox Challenge: Can You Survive 24 Hours without Tech?
Get paid $2,400 to go 24 hours without technology
Do you need to escape your daily routine with a digital detox? We know it’s hard to take even a day away from work, school, socializing, games, and the endless scrolling and streaming online, but what if we could make it worth your while?
Reviews.org wants to give someone $2,400 to go 24 hours without technology—we have a feeling someone out there needs a break.
A digital detox might not be as easy as you think. From our recent phone addiction report, we learned a lot of people are stuck on their screens:
- Three out of four Americans consider themselves addicted to their phones.
- The majority of us check our phones once every nine minutes (160 times a day).
- We spend an average of 56 hours and 42 minutes per week watching TV— that’s nearly 17 hours more than a full-time job!
If you’d like to be paid to unplug from all your screens and smart tech for 24 hours, you can apply below. If you’re selected and complete the challenge, we’ll reward you with $2,400 and an Amazon gift card for surviving the day. Plus, you’ll help curb your smartphone cravings.
It might not be easy, but it will be worth it.
Who should apply?
- Are you burnt out from doomscrolling on your phone, re-watching old sitcoms, and trying to maintain your sanity during the pandemic?
- Is keeping your phone alive an emergency situation that leaves you tired of scrambling to find a charger?
- Have you always wanted to win reality competitions like American Ninja Warrior, but you’ve been too busy trying to beat Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat instead?
- Do you know a little too much about your old acquaintances from social media?
We’re looking for someone who is definitely into tech but willing to challenge themselves.
If you’ve got the desire to ditch your devices for a day but still need to get paid, this is the perfect opportunity for you. If that seems too easy, you’re probably not the one who needs the detox, so you should refer your phone-addicted friends and family instead.
What do you get?
- The official title of “2021 Digital Detox Challenger” in the US
- $2,400 (USD) as payment for completing the challenge
- A day without doomscrolling, bad internet memes, or zoom fatigue
- A safe to store your tech in for 24 hours
- A $200 Amazon gift card to put together a tech-less survival kit (we’ve suggested some items below)
What’s the challenge?
Doing the challenge entails a little more than unplugging for a day and getting the money. We want you to be accountable, give us some feedback on your experience, and review your techless 24-hour survival kit.
Responsibilities and requirements
- Must be willing to disconnect from all personal technology (emergencies excluded) for 24 hours.
- No cell phone
- No television
- No gaming consoles/handheld gaming devices
- No computers/laptops
- No smartwatches or wearable tech
- No smart home devices (smart speakers, smart vacuums, etc.)
- We’re not monsters—you can still use a microwave to heat up a TV dinner!
What will I do?
As the digital detox contender, you’ll have to go a full 24 hours without any technology. You’ll have 14 days from accepting the challenge to pick a day that works for you, so you don’t have to skip school or work (unless you want to).
What you do in the meantime (without your tech to save you) is up to you. Luckily, you’ll have your techless survival kit.
After the challenge, you’ll submit screen time reports to prove that you truly went a full 24 hours without your tech.
What’s in the techless survival kit?
If you’re chosen as our 2021 Digital Detox Challenger, you'll put together a tech-less care package worth about $200 to help pass the time. Here are a few items you might want in your challenge kit:
- A typewriter to replace your laptop
- Board games to replace video games
- Writing stationery to replace text messaging or emails
- An abacus to replace your phone’s calculator tool
- Books from the best-seller list to replace the time you spend mindlessly scrolling through social media
- Paints and brushes to make a self-portrait rather than taking selfies
We’re open to your techless suggestions, but the survival kit money is for making your day livable outside of the online world.
Dates and Details
Applications closed 5:00 pm MT on March 26, 2021.
We’ll be announcing the detox challengers on March 29 on our Youtube channel, so be sure to subscribe!
How to apply
If you’re 18 or older and eligible to work in the US, you can and should apply!
Applications close at 5:00 pm MT on March 26, 2021.
Applications for the digital detox application closed at 5:00pm MT on March 26th, 2021. Thank you to everyone who applied!
How will I know if I’m chosen?
We’ll be announcing the digital detox challengers live on our Youtube channel on March 29, so be sure to subscribe to our channel for the announcement!
The winner will also be contacted via email after the announcement and will have seven days to accept or decline the digital detox challenge.
Terms and conditions
- The promoter of the 24 Hour Digital Detox Challenge (“Digital Detox Challenge) is Clearlink Technologies, LLC, DBA Reviews.org (“Promoter”), whose principal office is located at 5202 W. Douglas Corrigan Way, Salt Lake City, Utah 84116.
- Employees of Promoter, or their family members, or anyone else connected in any way with the Digital Detox Challenge or helping to set up the Digital Detox Challenge shall not be permitted to enter.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old or otherwise have reached the age of majority under the state's laws where you reside to apply for the Digital Detox Challenge.
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO APPLY FOR THE DIGITAL DETOX CHALLENGE. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by applicants will not improve one’s chances of being selected for the Digital Detox Challenge.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering this Digital Detox, applicants waive all right to and hold the Promoter harmless from any claim, liability, loss, injury, damage (including punitive, incidental, and consequential damages), or expense (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of or in connection with participation in this Digital Detox or the acceptance, use, or misuse of any prize. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. The Promoter will not be responsible for: late, incomplete, or incorrect applications; an applicant’s failure to receive prize notices due to applicant’s spam, junk e-mail, or other security settings or for applicants’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information; technical, hardware, or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled, or delayed electronic communications whether caused by the sender or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or used in this Dream Job; by any human error which may occur in the processing of the applications in this Digital Detox Challenge; or any typographical, technological, or other error in the publishing of the offer, administration of the Digital Detox Challenge, or announcement of the Recipient of the Digital Detox (“Recipient”).
- The route to entry for the Digital Detox and details on how to enter are available at Reviews.org. Individuals may apply by filling out the application form on Reviews.org’s website.
- Entries for the Digital Detox Challenge will be accepted starting on March 8, 2021 at 10:30 AM MST. The closing date for entry will be March 26th at 5:00 PM MST. After this date, no further applications to the Digital Detox Challenge will be permitted.
- Reviews.org will select one (1) Digital Detox Recipient (“Recipient”) from the entire pool of eligible entries. Recipient will be selected based on the quality of the application as judged by Reviews.org employees.
- The Recipient will be notified by email within seven days of the closing date. If the Recipient cannot be contacted, is not eligible, or does not claim the opportunity to participate in the Digital Detox Challenge within seven days of notification, Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the offer from the Recipient and pick a replacement Recipient.
- INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR ACKNOWLEDGMENT: The Recipient acknowledges that participation in the Digital Detox Challenge will be as an independent contractor. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employee-employer relationship is intended or created by accepting the Digital Detox Challenge. The Recipient has no authority to bind Promoter to contracts, make any agreement or representations on the Promoter’s behalf without the Promoter’s written consent. Recipient shall not be eligible to participate in any vacation, group medical or life insurance, disability, profit sharing, or retirement benefits, or any other fringe benefits or benefit plans offered by Promoter to its employees. The Promoter is not responsible for withholding or paying any income, payroll, Social Security, or other federal, state, or local taxes, making any insurance contributions, including unemployment or disability, or obtaining worker’s compensation insurance on Recipient’s behalf. Recipient acknowledges that stipend is subject to all applicable taxes. The Recipient is solely responsible for all such taxes or contributions, including penalties and interest.
- The Digital Detox Challenge consists of spending 24 hours without the use of technology, barring any emergencies. The challenge recipient must adhere to the challenge conditions in order to be paid the full $2,400 stipend.
- The Promoter is committed to providing equal opportunities to participate in the Digital Detox to qualified individuals with disabilities. Consistent with this commitment, if the Recipient believes she/he/they need an accommodation to complete the requirements of the Digital Detox because of a disability, the Promoter will provide a reasonable accommodation that would allow the Recipient to complete the requirements of the Digital Detox unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- Recipient will receive (i) a time locking container (valued at $69.90); and (ii) a digital Amazon Gift Card (valued at $200).
- This Digital Detox is conducted by Promoter and is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with any of the properties listed above or their affiliates.
- Upon completion of the Digital Detox, the Recipient will receive a stipend of $2,400.00 USD. The Promoter shall distribute stipend to the Recipient no earlier than 30 days following the completion of the Digital Detox requirements.
- No cash alternative to the Digital Detox, time locking container, or Amazon Gift Card will be offered. Opportunity to participate in the Digital Detox is not transferable. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the time locking container and Amazon Gift Card With items of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Where legally required, the Recipient’s name will be available upon request 28 days after the closing date. To request the Recipient’s name, please send the request in a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:Reviews.org
5202 W. Douglas Corrigan Way
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend this Digital Detox and these Terms and Conditions without notice.
- The Promoter’s decision regarding all matters to do with the Digital Detox will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Digital Detox and these Terms and Conditions will be governed by Utah law, and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Utah.
- By applying for this Digital Detox, applicants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
This digital detox is administered by Reviews.org and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the parties mentioned above.