Go to Reviews.org AU Edition
4 Best iPhone Apps for DISH or DIRECTV
We are committed to sharing unbiased reviews. Some of the links on our site are from our partners who compensate us. Read our disclosure policies to learn more.
With the advent of smart devices, satellite providers have built apps that significantly enhance the viewing experience and how we interact with our service, whether through social media or using iPhones and iPads as remote controls.
We're going to look at the best of the best DIRECTV and DISH apps for iOS to help you make the most informed decision about which satellite service to choose.
We’d help by simply deciding for you ourselves if we could, but, as hard as it may be to believe, there just isn’t an app for that…yet.
Best DIRECTV apps for iOS
DIRECTV's apps help users get the content they want faster, easier, and on the go. They've got an app for that. Two, in fact.
What can you do with DIRECTV's app for iPhone?
First and foremost, there’s the DIRECTV app itself, simply called DIRECTV. When it comes to your satellite service, this app basically includes everything but your TV room couch on your iOS mobile phone.
It’s not a stretch to say that it’s an essential download for anyone with DIRECTV.
The app allows users to watch content on their mobile devices, including live broadcasting and on-demand content, but that just scratches the surface. The app also offers a wide range of functionality, from setting recordings remotely to using your device as a remote.
- Viewing: As stated above, it’s easy to stream content from your satellite service to your device. The app also offers the ability to switch seamlessly from one device to another. Start watching something on your TV, and then want to watch it on your iPad, or vice versa? Not a problem with this app.
- Information: The app also makes it easy to explore show details, like cast and crew lists, parental guidelines, and recommendations for similar programming. It’s like having IMDB built into the device.
- Recording: If you’re away from home and realize you forgot to set a recording, the app has you covered. Users can access DVR settings remotely to make sure you never miss a program. The app also allows you to add extra time to the beginning or end of a set recording time—no more being foiled by those funky 7:04 PM start times for your favorite programming.
- Control: Apple Watch users get a special treat with this app: they can use their watches as remote controls, even accessing their DVRs through the watch. The Voice Search function finds programming without a single tap on the touch screen.
If you find yourself mainly streaming your DIRECTV service on your smartphone, tablet, or smart TV, then you might want to consider DIRECTV STREAM.
DIRECTV STREAM is the streamable version of DIRECTV and it will give you a much better streaming experience.
Best DISH TV apps for iOS
While DISH does offer a smattering of apps for iOS (there is a sizable collection of third-party apps available for Android users), the selection is limited to two, like DIRECTV. However, one advantage to DISH is that DISH's sports content is built directly into the main app.
How does DISH Anywhere help me watch TV on the go?
The DISH Anywhere app for iPhone and iPad allows you to watch live or recorded content on your mobile device. This feature-rich flagship app works for anyone with both DISH Network service and an iOS device. The features include viewing content, managing content, and accessing sports content.
There’s one catch when it comes to viewing mobile content on a device via DISH: it requires purchasing and using a Sling adapter to convert the satellite signal to one that’s viewable on mobile devices.
- Watch programs without an internet connection: The main feature is enjoying live and recorded content via this app. The app offers the ability to stream your DISH service to your device and watch the content already on your Hopper/DVR. One convenient feature is that you can transfer content on a DVR to the device itself, allowing you to watch shows offline.
- Manage your DVRs remotely: The DISH Anywhere app offers the ability to control and schedule DVR recordings remotely. You can view the program schedule seven days in advance, and it's searchable via program titles, keywords, genre, and cast. You can also manage the content on your DVR, deleting programs remotely to make room for new shows.
- Find the best sports: The DISH Anywhere Sports app allows users to access updated scores and game info for the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAAB, and NCAAF. Not sure what event you feel like watching today? The app allows users to find the best games to watch by following the “excitement rating,” a service that ranks the excitement of sporting events by the action taking place on the field. The sports functionality allows users to set up and get score notifications about their favorite leagues and teams.
Does DISH TV have a remote app?
DISH doesn't have a feature to use an app as a remote like DIRECTV does, but this is where the Smart TV Remote Control Plus app steps in.
This app allows iPhone or iPad users to program their "digital remote" to their smart TV, so you'll never have to worry about misplacing your remote again.
The Smart TV Remote Control Plus app connects to the following smart TVs:
- Android TVs
- Apple TV
- Google TV
- Hisense TVs
- LG TVs
- Panasonic TVs
- Philips TVs
- Roku streaming devices and TVs
- Samsung TVs
- Sony TVs
- TCL TVs
- Toshiba TVs
DIRECTV and DISH TV app recap
There are only a few apps available for these satellite TV providers, but they're effective and, to some, necessary.
(We understand you need to stream that Tampa Bay Buccaneers game as you're waiting for your kid to finish with gymnastics practice.)
Best DIRECTV apps: The DIRECTV App allows its customers to watch live TV and on-demand content while you're on a lunch break and set a recording.
Best DISH TV apps: DISH's official app, DISH Anywhere, lets users watch live TV and your recordings, schedule DVR recordings, and find the best sporting events for the day. The DISH Anywhere app doesn't have a feature to use your phone as your digital remote, but the Smart TV Remote Control Plus app will help in that area.
Read more details about DISH's plans, DVR, and channels.
Check out more info on DIRECTV's packages, fees, and what it offers.