Alert1 offers medical alert systems that keep people safe. With over 25 years in the industry, over 200,000 satisfied members, an A+ BBB Rating, and mostly positive online reviews, it’s hard to argue with their track record.
They’ve certainly proven themselves as a trusted leader you can depend on with your safety and well-being.
Did we mention that over 10,000 doctors recommend Alert1 to their patients?
In addition to a strong reputation, they offer an impressive array of technology options. They have their base model In-Home Alert System, a Wireless Alert System, an Auto Fall Detection System, and a Mobile Medical Alert System, plus plenty of extras and upgrades. But don’t get overwhelmed, we’ll discuss all of these more in-depth as we go along.
Alert1 offers the experience, peace of mind, flexibility, and service that many seniors need and demand from today’s medical alert systems. In this review, we’ll discuss the the ins and outs to help you decide if Alert1 is the right choice for you.
How are Alert1 calls handled?
Alert1 offers what they call your “Circle of Care.” This is a pre-set list of individuals that you’ve assigned to be contacted in-case you need assistance.
When you make a call from your Alert1 button you will be connected with a Command Center operator who will give you the option of calling someone in your Circle of Care or calling 911. This gives you more power over how your individual situations are handled. The operator will then stay on the line with you until help arrives.
Medical Alert System plans and pricing
Alert1 provides three different payment options. You can pay monthly, quarterly, or yearly with discounts offered if you pay for a whole year up front. Payments start at $29.95 per month with the annual plan, but you do have a full 30-day money back guarantee. This gives you plenty of time to setup and test the medical alert system, but after the 30 days there are no refunds for any reason.
In-Home Medical Alert System
The In-Home Medical Alert System is Alert1’s entry-level landline package.
The system includes the POM (Peace of Mind) base unit, built-in two-way speaker, and your choice of either a wristband or necklace with waterproof call buttons. The call buttons have a range of up to 600 feet, so you can feel safe working in the garden or just grabbing some fresh air outside.
Your POM base unit will come pre-programmed and already synced up with your help button. All you have to do is plug the power cord into an electrical outlet and then plug the phone line into your phone jack.
If you have a phone or answering machine that also needs to be plugged in, there’s an extra phone jack on the POM just for this purpose. You won’t need to move your phone! Once everything’s plugged in, simply press the help button and let the operator know you’re testing your system. After that, you’re done.
- 24 hour backup battery, which should be enough to cover 99% of power outages
- Automatic silent test every 28 days to make sure everything is still working.
- Can accurately locate your home using 911 systems
- Answer incoming phones calls by pressing the call button on your wristband or necklace
|Price per month||$25.95||$19.95||$19.95|
|2 months free|
Wireless Medical Alert System
No phone line? No problem. If you don’t have a phone line in your house, or if you just want the latest technology, Alert1 also offers a Wireless Medical Alert System.
The wireless system includes all of the features that you get with the In-Home model, except the system is powered by AT&T’s cellular network instead of a landline.
There’s no extra cellular service required. If your cell phone plan still uses minutes, then take note: this doesn’t share minutes with your cell phone. It’s completely separate—and all cellular usage is covered.
Setup and installation of the the Wireless medical alert system is even easier than with the In-Home. All you do is plug in your power cord: the system comes pre-programmed and ready to go. Just press the help button, let the operator know you’re testing the system, and you’re done.
|Price per month||$30.95||$36.95||$30.95|
|Free equipment use|
|2 months free|
|Cellular activation fee||$99||$99||$50|
Other equipment and extras
Auto Fall Detection Pendant
For an extra layer of protection to your Alert1 system you can add their Auto Fall Detection pendant. You can either purchase the Auto-Fall package upfront with either the landline or wireless system, or add it at a later date.
The auto-fall sensor has been tested by the Alert1 team for years and is designed to tell the difference between everyday movements and a fall.
If a fall is detected the auto sensor will contact the Command Center even without the help button being pushed.
The pendant is 100% waterproof and has a battery lifespan of over two years. You will never need to recharge the pendant as it automatically detects when the battery gets low so a replacement can be sent.
Kelsi Mobile Medical Alert System
For the ultimate in freedom and protection Alert1 offers the Kelsi Mobile Medical Alert System.
This system is shipped to you 100% ready to go, no setup needed. Take it with you anywhere you decide to go in the US and you’ll be covered by the included T-Mobile cellular service. There is no base station or phone line needed. The Kelsi is also waterproof and last 60 days on a single battery charge. With a built-in two way speaker you can speak with an operator at anytime should you need assistance.
Upgrades and extras
- Lockbox ($39.95) — Allows you to keep an extra outside so emergency personnel can get inside your home without breaking the door
- Voice Extender ($99) — While the POM unit has a powerful 2-way microphone built in, some homes may be too large or have areas that are not within its range. Voice extenders allow you to communicate clearly with Command Central from these remote areas of your home.
- Extra Call Button ($39.95) — Place extra call buttons around your home to make sure there’s never one too far away.
- Medication Organizer & Reminder ($149.95) — Reminds you to take your medications while dispensing them in the proper doses. You can set up to four individual doses per day. The system is tamper-proof and has a 48 hour battery backup.
How to purchase on Alert1’s website
While you can call in and speak with someone before placing your order, here’s a quick walk-through on how you can easily make your purchase right on Alert1’s website.
- Go to Alert-1.com.
- Click on “Order” on the top menu bar.
- Select how many users and your system of choice.
- Choose your payment plan and continue to check out.
- Lastly, enter your information and payment information. You’re done!
What are the pros and cons of Alert1?
- A+ BBB rating and accreditation
- 4.3/5 stars on Consumer Affairs and Accreditation
- Awarded Best Medial Alert System by Modern Senior Magazine
- 30 days risk-free
- Two US based, UL listed, CSAA 5 Diamond-Certified command centers
- Works in all 50 states
- 25 years experience
- Flexible payment options
- Nice range of equipment options
- Support for 190 languages
Cons and other things to consider
- No refunds on advanced payments after 30 days—for any reason
- To get a refund before the 30-day trial, you must return all the equipment and in the original boxes.
- They will automatically renew your membership, possibly without warning, so make sure you cancel beforehand if you do not want to be charged for an additional term.
- There seems to have been a recent surge of negative online reviews, mostly around customer service and refunds. While this does not accurately depict their long term reputation, it is something they need to straighten out and something you should be aware of.
As long as you pay attention to the fine print and fully understand their return policy, Alert1 is a solid choice for a Medial Alert System. With the latest technology and flexible payment options they offer safety and peace of mind that can work for just about anyone.
Of course, we always recommend you thoroughly research any company before doing business with them. Visit their website and or speak with them over the phone to see if it feels right. Or check out our other Medical Alert Reviews.
Learn more at Alert-1.com.