While your opinion of what makes a hunk may differ from the brand’s, the important thing is that the company hires good, strong academic workers to do all the heavy lifting—and more—for you. College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving is our top choice for moving locally and offers long distance services.
What you should know about College Hunks
We still gotta wonder: who named this company? Don’t worry, though—this isn’t some sort of Chippendales calendar thing. These are college kids who get incentives for efficiency and safety. HUNKS is an acronym for “Honest, Uniformed, Nice, Knowledgeable Service.”
Hunks protect you, just like the movies
College Hunks Hauling prides themselves on having the “lowest damage claims in the industry.” We couldn’t find anything concrete to back this up, but the H in Hunks stands for Honest, so we’ll roll with it. It is backed up, at least in part, by the fact that they bring their own blankets and other protective measures to keep the items and your house from getting dinged up and damaged.
Of course, you can always pay more for full-valuation protection. But if you’re looking to save some funds, you can skip it since College Hunks has basic liability insurance.
College Hunks Hauling cares about the kids
Nationwide, but limited
College Hunks has about 100 locations in 36 states across the US, but the only way to know for sure if they serve your area is by inputting your information or giving them a call. Unfortunately, our test move from Dallas to Chicago was not serviced by College Hunks. Instead, we were directed to local movers.
A single point of contact frees you up
College Hunks works as a franchise, which operates a little different than moving brokers. College Hunks is the company you’ll be working with both on the phone and in person. You’ll deal with one point of contact only, which eliminates the time and effort of coordinating between multiple packers and movers.
What you get with College Hunks
When you’re trying to get out of your house, it’s a good time to organize and minimize your stuff. Luckily, College Hunks can do light demolition, donate your stuff, or even haul it off to the dump for you. All of this costs a little extra, but you’ll probably be happy to be rid of that antique armoire if it’s taking up precious yoga space.
College Hunks essential moving services
|Loading/unloading||Yes||Cost included in price|
|Basic liability coverage||Yes||Cost included in price|
|Full valuation coverage||Add-on||Yes|
|Shipment tracking||Yes||Cost included in price|
|Learn more||Learn more|
When you go through places like UHaul, you usually have to pay extra for each little thing, which can be a headache if you don’t have a must-have checklist handy.
Fortunately, College Hunks Hauling provides useful items as part of its hourly rate, some of the items include:
- Ratchet straps
- Bungee cords
- Moving tools
- Floor mats
- Door-jamb protectors
- Stairwell protectors
Granted, you will still have to pay for moving boxes and other miscellaneous packing materials—unless you can find them in a dumpster behind your local Guitar Center or Best Buy. (*wink*)
College Hunks moving experience
The best part of the College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving is that whoever shows up to your house can do the work front-to-back, meaning you don’t have to lift a finger if you don’t want to. Now that’s awesome.
Getting your quote
You can either call College Hunks or fill out an online form so they can call you. We like at least getting a rough estimate online, but at the end of the day, you’ll always have to get a full quote from moving companies anyway.
College Hunks has two fees:
- Truck and travel fees, which covers the truck, travel time, and gas.
- The hourly rate, which covers the labor expenses—hunks need to eat, too—and the use of protective materials and moving tools throughout your home. You won’t get that included from most companies we’ve reviewed.
Prepping your home
College Hunks has its own 10-step process to prepare your home for moving:
- Download two helpful guides: Check out the brand’s Ultimate Moving Guide and moving checklist. If you’re a packing pro, you may be tempted to skip this step, but we suggest at least giving it a once-over.
- Decide on packing: Do it yourself or pay for packing services—and give yourself at least a couple of days before the hunks show up.
- Get your house move-in ready: Box up all loose items, empty your cabinets, etc. Note: If your home is not move-in ready, you may incur additional charges.
- Receive a pre-move call from College Hunks: Re-confirm your move details with things like securing freight elevators, getting necessary loading documents, getting permission for parking, and letting the movers know if stairs or other obstacles may slow things down.
- Receive a “We’re on our way” call: The Hunks will keep you in the loop!
- The Hunks arrive(!): You’ll get introduced to your movers. They’ll tell you their names, school, and academic focus. While this isn’t necessary, it does add to the human touch, which is what we want from College Hunks.
- Walkthrough in the home: If there’s anything extra they didn’t anticipate, the move captain notifies you so you’re not surprised by additional charges later.
- HUNKS get to work: The movers will start by placing moving blankets over furniture, along with protective door coverings, and anything else that will limit damage to your home or belongings. College Hunks includes this extra coverage in the cost, making this company special in a land of nickel-and-dime tactics.
- Fill out a survey about your move: The Hunks are on an incentivized pay-for-performance plan, which ensures that the homies move quickly while keeping your stuff safe.
- College Hunks unloads your things: The workers will drop off items in the right rooms, but if you want them to unpack, it’ll cost extra.
College Hunks take a few extra steps that make them a more valuable mover than the average company. They prepare and protect your place before they start lifting anything.
On top of the floor pads, stairwell protectors, and other protective actions, the college-aged comrades even slip on shoe covers just so your place doesn’t get dirty or damaged.
Storing your stuff
If you choose to store your goods, College Hunks has a few locations of their own, but they may guide you to Snap Storage (which we haven’t reviewed yet, but it seems on the level). You’ll get a climate-controlled, secure storage facility that’s privately accessible and monitored 24/7.
Our quotes for storage, though, were a bit higher than the local U-haul facility quoted us. For example, the 5-foot by 10-foot spot we rented was $74 a month with U-Haul, whereas Snap Storage was $108 for us.
Recap – Is College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving a good mover?
Whether because of or despite the name, College Hunks works for people who hate every step of the move and want someone else to do it—especially if you’re into supporting academic and youthful people.
- Services: If you’re looking for a local or long-distance move, College Hunks Hauling and Junk Removal offers more services than other full-service movers (if that makes sense). You can have this company pack, junk, donate, or rearrange your stuff.
- Quotes: Call for a quote and they’ll tell you if they serve your area. Then they’ll send over a moving captain to make sure your quote is accurate. Make sure your home is move ready, and it should be smooth sailing.
- Moving: We like that College Hunks provides blankets among other protection measures.
- Storage: Storage isn’t included with your move, which we don’t love, but you can get them to help coordinate storage if you need it. (We had to go to a third party for one quote.)
You could always check out United Van Lines, Best Interstate Moving and Storage, or other full-service movers if you don’t see any special value from the company if they don’t have a moving container and storage option like PODS does, but for moving locally or long-distance, we like the extra care these College Hunks put into their work.